An ankle sprain is an injury to the tough bands of tissue (ligaments) that surround and connect the bones of the leg to the foot. Ankle sprains are graded according to severity, with Grade I indicating that ligaments are stretched but not torn; Grade II indicating that ligaments are partially torn; and Grade III, a fully torn ligament.
- inability to put weight on the affected ankle
- skin discoloration
- twisting or rolling your ankle
- a fall that causes your ankle to twist
- landing awkwardly on your foot after jumping or pivoting
- walking or exercising on an uneven surface
If left untreated:
An ankle sprain can cause weakness in the joint, so that if left untreated it may lead to re-injury of that joint, or perhaps lead to a fall due to ankle instability.
An ankle sprain may negatively affect a persons’ life due to reduced ability to ambulate, participate in sports, or affect any activities of daily living.
- Balance Training
- Gait Training
At Shift Integrative Medicine, we offer a holistic approach for healing an Ankle Sprain. Our physical therapists will look at the entire body in addition to the ankle joint. We also offer an Integrative Model and will encourage you to use Massage, Acupuncture, Yoga, Pilates, and/or Feldenkrais in conjunction with your physical therapy.
The Shift Model of Care:
- Shift treats the whole you—body, mind and spirit because these elements of your health are always connected.
- Shift uses a collaborative model to inform and empower you with multiple perspectives.
- Shift is a supportive environment where you are invited to notice your own shifting self-awareness.
95 University Place, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10003
Shift is conveniently located between 11th and 12th Street, just 2 blocks from Union Square. Nearby Subway lines include L, N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6.
Start Your Recovery Today
Call Now (212) 604-1316
Make an Appointment