Plantar fasciitis is an irritation of the thick connective tissue that runs along the sole of the foot and is often most pronounced in the area where this tissue attaches to the front of the heel bone.
Sometimes, prolonged irritation and pulling of the plantar fascia at its attachment point can lead to development of a bony spur on the front surface of the calcaneus, or heel bone.
The irritation in the plantar fascia is usually related to excessive tension placed on this tissue by an overly tight calf muscle and Achilles tendon, a stiff/high-arched foot or conversely by poorly controlled excessive pronation (collapse of the foot arch) during walking, and/or improper selection of footwear.
If you are experiencing this condition:
- You are likely to have pain in your heel and/or the sole of your foot
- Pain is usually worst with the first step you take when getting out of bed in the morning
- Pain usually improves after walking around a little to warm up the tissue
- Pain is likely worst while walking barefoot and alleviated by wearing shoes with a bit of a raised heel
If left untreated:
- Pain gets worse
- Limping with walking
- Lower Back Pain
- Can hasten arthritis in knees, hips, and ankles
- Reduced Activity
- Insufficient cardiovascular exercise
We at Shift are able to help alleviate plantar fasciitis pain in a number of ways. We work hands-on to reduce restrictions within tight tissues. We teach patients how to perform stretching and self-myofascial release for their calf and the sole of the foot.
We are skilled in use of taping, orthotics, night splints, and making recommendations regarding improved footwear. We can also teach patients a variety of exercises to strengthen the intrinsic muscles of the foot as well as the muscles of the core and hips for improved biomechanics during walking.
Benefits of Treatment:
- Greater ease and efficiency in walking patterns
- Abnormal strain in the plantar fascia will be reduced
- Walk more smoothly
- Improved integrated coordination of your whole body
The Shift Model of Care:
- Shift treats the whole you—body, mind and spirit because these elements of your health are always connected.
- Shift uses a collaborative model to inform and empower you with multiple perspectives.
- Shift is a supportive environment where you are invited to notice your own shifting self-awareness.
95 University Place, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10003
Shift is conveniently located between 11th and 12th Street, just 2 blocks from Union Square. Nearby Subway lines include L, N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6.
Start Your Recovery Today
Call Now (212) 604-1316