Pilates Physical Therapy
The Pilates philosophy of mind-body exercise is instrumental in the healing process, as patients learn to bring focus, awareness, intention, and breath to their therapeutic exercises, posture, and daily body mechanics. Pilates exercises can be incorporated into your physical therapy plan of care by a physical therapist certified in the Pilates Method and trained in the rehabilitative use of Pilates equipment and principles.
Pilates for Prenatal/Postpartum Fitness
Many women want to continue to exercise during pregnancy and in the early post-partum months, but have concerns about how to safely adapt exercise for their changing bodies. Shift Integrative Medicine offers Pilates-based exercise taught by licensed physical therapists to help you:
- Maintain your level of fitness during and immediately following pregnancy.
- Increase the strength, flexibility, and endurance of the muscles needed for childbirth.
- Decrease back, neck, and shoulder pain that may be caused by postural changes during pregnancy or by caring for a newborn.
- Learn what your body needs during each trimester of pregnancy and beyond.
TAKE OUR PRENATAL PILATES CLASS
Thursdays 9:15-10a,. Classes are led by physical therapist, pilates instructor and mom herself, Heather Mims. They are semi-private with a maximum of 6 students per class. Learn more about our wellness classes.
Pilates Wellness Program
Mind-body exercise is a key component in your wellness program throughout your lifespan. Moving with breath, awareness of alignment, and clear intention builds skills that help you listen to your body to prevent injury and maintain balance. Your 45-minute private wellness session is taught by a licensed physical therapist certified in the Pilates Method and incorporates exercises utilizing state-of-the-art Pilates apparatus including the Reformer, Tower, Chair, and CoreAlign.
Heather Mims, PT, DPT, PMA®-CPT
Physical Therapist, Doctor of Physical Therapy, PMA® Certified Pilates Instructor
MFA Dance, Ohio State University
BFA Dance, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Certified Pilates Instructor, PhysicalMind Institute
BA in Dance, Naropa University
Pilates Method Alliance Certified Pilates Instructor
The Shift Model of Care:
- Shift treats the whole you—body, mind and spirit because these elements of your health are always connected.
- Shift uses a collaborative model to inform and empower you with multiple perspectives.
- Shift is a supportive environment where you are invited to notice your own shifting self-awareness.
95 University Place, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10003
Shift is conveniently located between 11th and 12th Street, just 2 blocks from Union Square. Nearby Subway lines include L, N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6.